Friday, June 13, 2008

Louis Aston Knight A Sunny Morning at Beaumont-Le Roger painting

Louis Aston Knight A Sunny Morning at Beaumont-Le Roger painting
Dante Gabriel Rossetti A Vision of Fiammetta painting
saving every dollar for his approaching journey. At last, having collected enough to keep life in him, he departed for Europe, and tracked his enemies from city to city, working his way in any menial capacity, but never overtaking the fugitives. When he reached St. Petersburg, they had departed for Paris; and when he followed them there, he learned that they had just set off for Copenhagen. At the Danish capital he was again a few days late, for they had journeyed on to London, where he at last succeeded in running them to earth. As to what occurred there, we cannot do better than quote the old hunter's own account, as duly recorded in Dr. Watson's Journal, to which we are already under such obligations. Our prisoner's furious resistance did not apparently indicate any ferocity in his disposition towards ourselves, for on finding himself powerless, he smiled in an affable manner, and expressed his hopes that he had not hurt any of us in the scuffle. "I guess you're going to take me to the police-station," he remarked to Sherlock Holmes "My cab's at the door. If you'll loose my legs I'll walk down to it. I'm not so light to lift as I used

No comments: